Monday, March 12, 2007

Friendship, pain, sweat, frustration - happiness!


Wow, what a week...

To start off with, my Intel class last Tuesday was incredible. One of my shodans, Andrew, invited us to an after training get-together at his house, which is right across the boulevard from Intel. I ended up running a little late getting to class, due to heavy traffic, but phoned another of my shodans to start without me. When I got there, only 4 of us were in attendance and they were rolling around and practicing basics. We quickly bowed in and started warming up with our 5' jo staves, doing the bofuri gata. As I was practicing, I started doing aruki cross stepping in time with the flowing movements of the jo and this sparked interest in the others. So, I spent some time showing a step by step synchronization of movements between forward and backward cross step motions and the motions of the jo staff, so that even in the crossed step 'half point', they still had strike or block kamae positioning. This led into using the aruki to make subtle range changes while using the tip of the jo to keep the uke distracted and using this aruki method to allow for multiple strikes, thrusting in the half step of the crossed legs kamae.

From there, we explored similar concepts with the bokken, or wooden training sword, just to show continuity. Then, we looked at unarmed striking concepts using the same strategy.

Lastly, we played with some yoroi jujutsu, or grappling in armor. This was in preparation to the upcoming Dale Seago seminar on Saturday.

We decided to end class 30 minutes early and head over to Andrew's house for our 'get together'. We arrived and I was impressed and surprised with everything Andrew had prepared! I was expecting to just hang out and chat for a bit, maybe have a beer or something. But, he had a prepared sushi platter, fresh salmon steak, bread (for the salmon), Corona beers, tea and even some ice cream Bon-Bons for dessert! We ate, drank and had a great time chatting about everything from training, gadgets, hiking, and all sorts of topics. Afterward, Andrew treated us to a slideshow on his laptop computer, giving an excellent photo tour of a mountain climbing expedition he did in South America!

What I came away with was a reminder of just how important fellowship is to martial arts training. We have been training together for almost 5 years now and I can only think of a few times we've gotten together outside of the dojo to just hang out and enjoy each other's company. I sent an email to them the next day, thanking them for the evening and vowing to do more of these 'get togethers' from now on. They all agreed it's been too long and we need to do more of it.

When Saturday came, I got down to the Sacramento Bujinkan Dojo well ahead of Dale and most others. A black belt student there had keys so we were able to get in early and start setting up. I brought my SCA armor and trucked it in, which caused quite interest among those who were there early.

After starting the business end of the seminar, getting a roster of names going and collecting fees from people, Alex showed and so I had my 'hosting partner' to start the organizing of the itinerary (lunch schedule, payment details, etc). We got word that Dale was running late, but since he was coming from San Francisco, we expected the possibility of traffic and such. So, we spent the time chatting with everybody, making new friends and reacquainting ourselves with old ones.

Dale arrived, not much late, and we promptly began the seminar. Dale mentioned to me it would be good for me to wear my armor for the first part of the seminar, so I began lacing on the pieces as they bowed in and Dale talked about many things, including his adventured filming a documentary with the MythBusters TV show. I was happy the armor went on smoothly, especially since it had been over a year since I fought in it last. But, the leather strappings still fit and the metal plates weren't too rusty. The night before, I had put strips of duct tape along many of the edges and points. Getting cut with rusty metal would not be a good thing!

After all the armor was on, including my sircoat tunic, I walked out into the training area. The armor made it's usual clanging and creaking and it caused everybody to turn and look. I suspect they had never seen medieval armor live before, at least not at a Bujinkan seminar! Everybody was happy and excited to see it and it definitely added an energy level to the room.

I stood next to Dale and, as he demonstrated some basic Sanshin movements (from a Kukishinden armored 'feel'), I copied them so that the others could see how armor really does affect the posture and movements. It was a great visual demonstration and people later commented how seeing me really helped them understand what Dale was teaching.

We went on to do some basic kata and I practiced mostly in the air, being afraid of accidentally cutting someone with my armor plating - particularly on my elbows and knees. I spent some time with a judan and hachidan who were training together, so they could see the unique attributes armor added to the kata we were doing. They loved it!

Dale did some kata on me, doing Onikudaki and other nasties. I took the ukemi well and was able to fold into various falling positions as needed. He didn't throw me, but I know I could have taken that ukemi as well.

I had opportunity to train with some others in the room and it was very enlightening for them. However, the room was becoming very warm and humid, so my own heat level was getting very high. Eventually, I started removing parts of my armor, starting with my helmet, in between being Dale's uke and training with my partner. Eventually, though, I got out of the armor and put on my dogi. I was soaked completely in sweat and it didn't take long to soak through the dogi I put on, too!

The rest of the day went fast. We stopped for lunch about midway. I bought Dale's lunch and spent some quality time with him discussing all sorts of things. Then, we continued the seminar until well into the late afternoon (around 5pm).

Overall the seminar was excellent! Dale's teaching is always top notch and his technique is beautiful. I, on the other hand, suffered many setbacks and challenges. Once I became very hot from training in armor, I couldn't get myself to cool down. I sucked down bottles of water and took a few breaks, but would quickly get overheated again. I would go from being Dale's uke, where he would hit, twist and throw me fairly hard, then jump into training with my partner. I didn't have time to cool down like the others who were watching Dale demonstrate.

This really affected me pretty much most of the day, especially at the second half. I found myself losing many of the basics, like timing and flow. I was fortunate to train with a very experienced Bujinkan dan rank, who pointed out and helped me with all these areas. It was frustrating for me on many levels, mostly because these were things I normally don't struggle with and I could 'see' these things happening - even though it seemed I lacked the ability to fix them! So, I just kept going, kept adjusting to the suggestions given to me by my partner and tried to relax. Many times I felt incredibly dizzy and actually had to step away to get some fresh air to cool down. My patient training partner is also very skilled in Yoga and healing arts, so he spent some time with me working on my breathing and energy levels. This helped alot to keep me back on 'center'.

At the end of the day, I felt stupid and really disappointed with myself. Either I was just having a bad day, maybe my body was in a weak cycle, or I really am developing a weakness for over heating. At any rate, I found that being overheated affected me by robbing me of essential basics in my taijutsu - basics that I believe could get me killed. So, I am going to have to put a new focus on my training. I do not want to keep making myself overheat, because that is dangerous to my body. But, I do think I need to spend more time working on the subtle aspects to my basics, to drill them into my body deeper and deeper. That way, when I am under such conditions, they are rooted farther into my subconscious body mechanics and will be there when I need them.

If I learned anything this entire last week, I can sum it up in two things:

1. The importance of fellowship among buyu
2. The importance of kihon, or foundation, in training

Yet, these are things I've already known. But, I suppose the cycle needs repeating, needs reminding. It takes good training opportunities and good training friends to 'remind' us!


Now I look forward to my Intel class on Tuesday!


No comments: